Cindy's Multiple Myeloma Blog

A healthblogs.org weblog

Lack of Water Causes Patients to Drink from Vases

November23

What a sad and alarming situation in this UK Hospital. According to this LINK, “Donald Berwick, director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, has claimed a love affair with Britain‘s NHS and it’s government-run program. His critics say his “love” and approach will eventually lead to the cost-cutting dilemma patients such as Baily’s mother have experienced first-hand.” – - Well, after you read the article below…you’ll know what happened to Bailey’s mother. When I see something like this in the NHS system, I can’t help but recall that diarist on this site who dedicated an entry to dogging me and those of us in the U.S. who favor a private health care system. God help us if our health care system continues down the path of being handled by our government. When you have overworked and disenchanted workers in a tax-funded system, this is what it always turns into…

Bella Bailey (left) died at scandal-hit Stafford Hospital after being admitted with an enlarged hiatus hernia

Grieving: Julie Bailey, pictured with others who have lost relatives at Stafford Hospital, told the inquiry patients were left without water at night and were left 'screaming' out in pain on chaotic and under-staffed wards

Patients at scandal-hit hospital ‘forced to drink from vases after being left on ward without water’
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 6:34 PM on 23rd November 2010

Thirsty patients were forced to drink from vases of flowers after they were left on a ward without water, an inquiry heard today.

Campaigner Julie Bailey, whose mother Bella died at the scandal-hit Stafford Hospital, said patients were left ‘screaming’ out in pain on chaotic and under-staffed wards.

She said that when she raised the issue of lack of water on the wards with the nurses, she was told they could not leave drinks out for patients during the night because of ‘health and safety’.

Grieving: Julie Bailey, pictured with others who have lost relatives at Stafford Hospital, told the inquiry patients were left without water at night and were left ‘screaming’ out in pain on chaotic and under-staffed wards Miss Bailey, who slept at her mother’s bedside in the hospital for eight weeks, told the inquiry: ‘They couldn’t find anything else to drink so they were drinking from flower vases.

‘I saw that myself on several occasions, it wasn’t just one occasion.

‘There were just no fluids available for patients.’
Miss Bailey also told how her 86-year-old mother once collapsed on a ward after being left without her oxygen supply.

The grieving daughter set up the campaign group Cure The NHS after the death of her mother at Stafford Hospital, which has been heavily criticised for putting targets and cost-cutting ahead of patient welfare.
It has been claimed that hundreds of patients died at the hospital, run by Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust, as a result of sub-standard treatment.

Following the death of her mother in 2007, Miss Bailey lobbied for an open investigation into how appalling standards of care were allowed to persist.

A public inquiry into the care provided by the trust between 2005 and 2009 was launched earlier this month.

Today Miss Bailey told inquiry chairman Robert Francis QC that her mother collapsed on Ward 11 of the hospital after being left in a chair with no oxygen supply because there were no nurses available to reconnect the canister.

Miss Bailey said the pensioner, who had a hiatus hernia and suffered from breathing difficulties, had left the ward to undergo an endoscopy and was placed in a chair upon her return by a hospital porter.

She said her niece, who had been visiting, was told repeatedly that a nurse would reconnect the oxygen supply, but after 45 minutes no nurse had arrived and her mother collapsed.

Miss Bailey said: ‘The healthcare assistant kept saying, “the nurse will be with you in a minute, the nurse will be with you in a minute” but she never came.
‘So mum collapsed and my niece telephoned me.’
She added: ‘I believe that if my niece hadn’t gone in to see my mum at that particular time when she collapsed then she would have died there that day. I am convinced of it.

‘After that I decided that mum would never be in that hospital alone and that is what we did.’

Describing the ward, Miss Bailey said: ‘It was absolute chaos. There were people screaming out, shouting “nurse, nurse”. It was just bedlam.

‘There were just relatives waiting all the way down the corridor which I later learned was people, relatives, coming in for visitor hours and then waiting to talk to staff.

‘It was just like clutter all the way down and people shouting out.

‘It was just, it appeared to be, utter chaos on the ward.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332070/Stafford-Hospital-inquiry-Patients-left-water-forced-drink-vases.html#ixzz16AGmlll1

NOTE: It’s always interesting to check the site & view readers’ comments. Just sayin’….

6 Comments to

“Lack of Water Causes Patients to Drink from Vases”

1. November 24th, 2010 at 8:09 am       Sandy Banks Says:

If you want to see what government-funded health care is like, visit the VA system in the U.S. and read DELUDIA’s MM blog for the horrible details.

2. November 24th, 2010 at 8:54 am       Annie Cotton Says:

Cindy — I hope you’re feeling well. I’d like to hear more news of YOU! I’m sorry that scandal occurred in GB. But we’ve had our own scandals here. Try not to spend too much time in nursing homes …. and take your advocate with you when you go to the hospital, always. All best to you — Ann

3. December 9th, 2010 at 3:40 pm       Lori Puente Says:

I could not agree with you more. And the latest interesting bit is that a new total of 222 companies now have “waivers” from HHS Secretary on participating in the new Obamacare! So I don’t know about you, but I didn’t know there was a waiver provision except for the federal government. Oh man, don’t get me started. Nice blog Cindy. Hope you are doing well.

4. March 27th, 2011 at 8:45 am       Alzheimers Disease Says:

I think government assistance is all that some people have. Something has to be done to make it better. We live in a country where how much money you have or what type of insurance you have can be the difference between life and death. I think our priorities are just a bit messed up. We spend more on killing people than helping the sick and infirm. CNAs, the people we expect to wipe our butts when we can’t do it, are paid less than some McDonald’s employees. Yet, we keep hearing about how the health care industry is booming. I’ve seen first hand how lack of money or the right insurance means you get treated differently. I would venture to say that most of the people complaining about “Obamacare” have good insurance or are on Medicare, which is pretty darned good.

5. April 18th, 2011 at 9:00 pm       cakassel55 Says:

There’s too much to comment regarding your note here, Alzheimers….but I couldn’t disagree with you any more. Your remark “We live in a country where how much money you have or what type of insurance you have can be the difference between life and death.” is FALSE or at least GROSSLY EXAGERATED. I personally know of many people who have no insurance & very poor, who got diagnosed with various cancers. One was colon cancer. She is eligible for Medicaid & is getting treatment at our wonderful cancer centers in our Kansas City area -the same ones I go to. Before she realized she was eligilbe for Medicaid, she was receiving treatment at a facility that accepts people with $0- whatsoever. You’ve bought into the Socialist-FEAR-mongering lies. Yes, there is much to be addressed & improved regarding our health system, but it is still better than any other in the world. Unfortunately, it’s people like you who won’t be satisfied until we have the same lousy systems the UK & Canada have.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Hello! I started this Blog October 13, 2007. At that time I was 52 years old. I am the mother of two wonderful grown sons, both married to wonderful girls. I have three grandsons (as of June 15, 2011).

I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma Igg October 2005. I was 50 years old. I jogged three miles 3-to-5 times a week and worked out. I was in very good shape.

Before MM, I lived on 17 acres and had 4 horses, 4 dogs, 4 cats, plus barn cats. I completed my MBA in 2002.

I worked for Sprint for 17.5 years before I got sick, was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (MM), and had to go on disability. I was first put on oral treatment of Thalidomide/Dexamethasone from October 2005 to March 2006. In April 2006 I had an autogolous stem cell transplant (SCT), but unfortunately it did not produce a remission. I was then put on Revlimid/Dexamethasone and I responded very well to it (8/06 – 10/07). In December 2005 I had 10 radiation treatments to a tumor at my T8. In March 2006 I had kyphoplasty done at the T8.

If you are a fellow MMr, I hope this blog is helpful to you. Actually, I probably have you more in mind than family or friends. It helps me to read the blogs or talk to fellow MMr’s and compare my symptoms or feelings to theirs. Sometimes we’re similar and often not so alike, but it still helps. We’re not in this alone!

I have a strong faith so God gives me strength, courage, and contentment.

Below is a picture of my boys and me in November 2005, just about one month after I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (MM).

Boys & Me November 2005